Tyre width and drifting

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by francisgane, Feb 14, 2012.

1. francisgane

francisgane Member

I'm looking at getting new rims on my 328 coupe. I currently run 17x7.5 all round but am now looking at a staggered fitment of some sort (purely for aesthetic reasons!) but am wondering how much it will affect the driftability of my car.

My main worry is that with only around 200BHP I'm not sure if putting fat wheels on the back will stop me skidding all together! What kind of width should I go with for a bit more phatness at the rear but still easy enough to lose traction?

I'm thinking 8 front and 9 rear??? Would this need arch work at the back as well? If it's too much of a ballache with rubbing etc and makes skidding way harder then I'm going to go with plan B and stick spacers on to widen the track and bring the wheels out.

Thoughts??

2. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

I have drifted with 8J's on the back and guess you could get away with up to 9.

Im running 10J now but also have turbo power.

3. docwra

docwra Active Member

Broadly speaking, pressure, then compound make more difference than width :)

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

This. For example, to make a 225 wide BTCC slick I tried have as little grip as a 235 wide Yoko A048 semi slick I had on before that (running 40psi) I had to put 75psi in it.

And besides, 225s are fine on a 9, and if 225s are too grippy for you then you need more practice rather than skinnier tyres.

And 99% of people dont run their daily road rear wheels when drifting anyhow so its no biggie.

5. francisgane

francisgane Member

Nice one for the replies. Yeah I was thinking of stretching my current 225 45s over them and pumping them over the usual psi as I'd like similar grip on less inflated skinnier tyres for drift days.

As pressure seems to be the biggest factor, what sort of pressure should my rears be considering my low-ish power?

Thanks once again for the input...

6. oli_the_thread

tyre pressures are something that will be personal to you, I know guys who run 30-35 and some that run nearer 60, but its all fully dependant on what tyres you have, what your driving style is, how much experince you have, car spec etc. If your stretching your existing width tyres onto wider rims your going to notice a difference in how the grip breaks anyway (again dependant on tyres)

Just have a play around with it until you find something YOU like the feel of, there is no "ideal set up" otherwise everyone would have the same car, same spec and same settings, its a very personal thing!

7. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I always used 225/45/17s on my old 328 with 45 psi in. Tbf different brands of tyre make far more difference than sizes of tyres.

I would suggest if you're starting out drifting put on some 15" poverty spec e36 rims with a decent amount of pressure in. The e36 has good grip and not loads of power so for getting to grips with it on small tracks its not a bad thing to make it slide a bit easier.
    Then when you get onto a faster track with a bit more experience go up to bigger sizes so you can go fast and not fall off.

8. francisgane

francisgane Member

useful responses thanks. i'll probably go that route and get some cheapo wheels/tyres for the back for drift events and leave my road setup for the road! will experiment with pressures too.

9. cookwibble

cookwibble Active Member

Deffo experiment with the pressures. it really is personal preference. I personally prefer a narrower tyre with a lower pressure, why? god knows...it just feels right for me.

10. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

I've run 265 toyo T1R's
    @ 32psi on 290bhp in the dry before.... It's all about the setup ;)

11. the stig

the stig Active Member

as long as there black n round and hold air ill run them!!!
    tyre press i vary depending on venue-weather-etc