vibration/wobble under braking

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Matt540, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Matt540

Matt540 Member

picked up my new soarer and all is well except when braking there is vibration and steering wheel wobble, its barely noticeable at lower speeds only 60+ it gets quite bad, I'm assuming warped disk?? never had it so just a guess, is there any way to check?? and how?? or are there other things i should be looking for? another slight issue is that under hard braking the rears will lock up before the fronts, could just be because the fronts have this problem?

thanks

2. spaxy

spaxy Member

stick a set of discs and pads on it mate,check all pivot pins and caliper pistons are nice and free too,should cure it.

3. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

If its only under braking then its 99% a warped disc. Also there shouldnt be any situation where your rears lock before your fronts, unless your fronts are really shagged.

4. Matt540

Matt540 Member

looking like the fronts are warped and pretty shagged then!! cheers for the replies guys will get some new disks and pads and see how it goes

5. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Id definitely take the calipers apart and give them a good service too.

6. mat_91

mat_91 Member

With you saying the wobble isn't there at low speeds, I'd be looking at suspension parts, ball joints bushes etc as warped discs will stilll give you a wobble at low speeds, were as a slightly worn ball joint will most likely only do it under hard braking

7. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

^Yep.

Check track rod end, balljoints etc...

8. Matt540

Matt540 Member

cheers for the replys guys i changed the disks and it seems to have solved the vibration under braking, i will be checking ball joints and bushes also as still feels a bit sloppy. i also am getting quite a bit of axle tramp, ive done some searching around and it seems to be quite a common problem on soarers. i have adjusted the coilovers on the rear to be a bit harder and i think its slightly better. i have read about getting stiffer/solid subframe and diff mounts but i cant seem to find any in the uk!! well i can, but they are £440 from whifbitz! anyone got any ideas if this will actually work to stop the tramp? or where i could get some cheaper?

9. Matt540

Matt540 Member

and another £276 for diff mounts!

10. amarxyz

amarxyz Member

sounds expensive!