wastegate options with apexi top mount manifold? can they be rebuilt?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by kingj, Sep 11, 2012.

1. kingj

kingj sliding it in

I have an apexi rx6 top mount kit on my rb25 at the moment and the apexi wastegate is leaking:( stopping me getting it mapped.

Im awaiting to hear if you can get another diaphragm form apexi anymore or a rebuild kit, but worst case and I cant, does anybody know if any other 4 bolt flange wastegates will fit to save having to cut and weld flanges??

I dont want to spend £400 on a new wastegate unless I have to!

cheers J

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If its the one I'm thinking of, looks remarkably like the HKS one with a different top section. So wouldn't be that surprised if it's made by the same people and uses the same diaphragm.

In fact it uses the same HKS bolt pattern on the inlet, and only slightly different on the outlet (can elongate the holes).

If it is bust and it's almost the same, lots of gates use that same 4bolt fixing, inc all the ebay etc HKS copies.

3. kingj

kingj sliding it in

Cheers stavros:) Im wondering if the best bet is going to be using the hks 4bolt to v-band flange and then just getting a turbosmart wastegate if I cant find a diaphragm. Ive found a hks and greddy diaphragm and just wondering if I should order one and hope they are the same!

4. kingj

kingj sliding it in

Right Ive brought a greddy diaphragm for a 50mm type c wastegate from rhdjapan, they look exactly the same between apexi,hks,greddy etc with the exception that they originally come with black diaphragms but the replacements for them all are orange!

Just hope the gamble pays of and it fits!! will report back when it arrives as there must be other peeps out there who have problems with the older stlye 6 bolt wastegates:D apparently the apexi 50mm are known for the diaphragm splitting causing them to overboost!!

No real info on the net about the apexi ones though:( and dont know if I want to throw a 50mm ebay copy on my car. Nowhere else seems to supply the older 4 bolt flange 50mm wastegates though, and I aint paying £800 for a genuine hks gt1 or greddy type c!!!!!

5. kingj

kingj sliding it in

Right, fucking thing is stuck in customs by the sound of it:wack: so hoping I can update this in the next couple of days when it arrives so anybody stuck in the same situation as me knows if they fit or not!!

Seems to be loads of people saying the apexi wg diaphragms fail but nobody saying how they sorted it:rolleyes: