What was your first proper drift car?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by prblmslvrs, Sep 23, 2014.

1. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

No not a "Should I get an E36 or a mx5 for drifting in?" thread.

Interested to know what everyone started off drifting properly in. Spec, pictures, what happened to it etc. Did a search but couldn't see any threads like this so sorry if its been done before.

I only got involved the end of last year, bought an E46 328ci but it was too expensive for my liking and wouldn't trust it on a track so sold it and bought an MX5. Chucked in a Torsen diff, buckets, harness everything else is boring/standard.
    It's still going and planning to keep learning as much as I can in it, see if its worth putting through another MOT or just break it to fund whatever project I pick up.

[​IMG]

2. docwra

docwra Active Member

A ratty old S12 I found in a barn and brought back to life. Cut springs, no handbrake, wedlded diff, it was a bitch to drive but when I got an S13 I realised how much it taught me.

Middle one of these three, I was so JDM in those days I shitted Sushi.

[​IMG]

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I had RWD caged up cars I fucked about sideways in for years, but my first car I fully intended to be a drift car was an S13.

About, I dunno, 10 years ago?

Burgundy, bit rusty, stripped out, flyoff handbrake button, welded diff, solid diff mounts, very low on cusco coilovers, 15in wheels, blowing turbo to manifold gasket, stock engine, i think it didn't even have an exhaust now I think about it.
    Cost me £600, drove it home from Lincoln or somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jites

Jites Active Member

Started getting into drifting when I had my FD, that was was too expensive to fix for me at the time so that had to go,
    [​IMG]

After that I got my S14a, got hooked and still own it 4 years on. time for a change I think.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. -Tommy.

-Tommy. Member

Started properly learning in a damson s14a, meisterR coilovers, bride bucket and a nardi wheel with the LSD being surprisingly tight, gave it death everywhere.

Had to get rid of it eventually as there was more rust than actual healthy metal on the car.

6. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

Got rid of this

[​IMG]

for this

[​IMG]

Never looked back

[​IMG]

7. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

the s13 that I have now that I bought in 2005. which got some coilovers a week after I bought it and I only changed them for new ones like 2 months ago.

8. Angelic0-

Angelic0- Member

E39 523i that i stripped and swapped a S62 into... straight piped it made crazy sound and would lay serious rubber...

[​IMG]

9. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

MY first car is my competition car now. Been through many different guises, its now green(ish) Love it still, been 10 years I've had that now, fuck thats a long time.

Not long after I got it and bought shite parts for it

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Did many skids and crashes over many years (Can only find signature pics on photobucket for some reason)

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

BDC 2012

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

OOps ha ha,

I have no pics of it now on photo bucket but she lives on. Doing RDC in it this year, rediculous amounts of fun.

10. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

time for some self abuse. This is what i call "the dark years"

Around 2004/56 after spending 6 months in iraq i came back and blew every penny i had on an orange s13 (What up smoothed in bodykit and full leather) i tried "drifting" it and stuck it straight into a kerb. I then met steve carter who fixed up all the various bent things. It was hideous, though you have to remember back then, this was the shit:

Oranges13_zps2ba47663.

Then at a "meet" urghh, i met a crazy american called bryan who had a crazy spec s13, with all sorts of posh drift bits that most people (including me) had never even heard of. coilovers, 2 way,nitrous, adjustable arms, power fc the lot. He was off to the states so i sold my orange car and bought his:

Greenmachine3_zps1c0fe6ff.

Purely because in my eyes it looked cool. I then started hearing about this crazy drifting, rocked up at lydd in the car. Really must of been one of the highest spec cars around at the time, everyone must of thought wow, who is this hero.

I then proceeded to drive around the track, gripping, slowly being shit and embarrasing myself. Sadly a few weeks later some bitch rear ended me, and at the time i was very niave and was talked into the fact the car was a write off as it only had a tiny dent and broken aero, so i let it go cheap : (

I then blew all the money and had fuck all. Picked up the only thing i could afford, a £100 s13 and proceeded to make it look shit:

Purples13_zpse91cbfb2.

Learnt a lot in it though.

next year or two involved several equally shit £100 s13s which i made look various shades of shit

It took till around 2008 to learn the magic formula of decent size wheels and low to make car look good. Since then banged out plenty of nice cars with that design. Probably why i get so frustrated and angry with people sometimes as i see myself years ago, i wouldnt listen to anyone and thought my cars were awesome when they were shit!

a few since then:

Southernstylerides3_zps891213b3.

IMG_3548_zps27aa740d.

Browns132_zps278398eb.

IMG_3553_zpsece848cf.

IMG_3550_zps2b946020.

IMG_3554_zps3e016576.

IMG_5732_zps10a2aca6.

IMG_6380_zps1b3f65fa.

IMG_3532_zpsb9332477.

You get the idea...

• Like Like x 1
  11. mint

mint touch my fruit

^ That Brown 180 was one of my favourites. I remember when I first seen that online, I thought.. wow. Southern Style have NAILED it!!! You have owned and built some bloody cool cars over the time.

Same with Norfi and Dex, both built some great silvias.

12. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

cheers man. Loads missing as well as i deleted my old photobucket account a while back : (

Only wish id been able to keep a lot of them, I always used to do the same thing everytime, buy a car spend all my money on it when i had any, then run out of money and have to break it. They were all built on a very tight budget, with the exception of the r32+34 i dont think i ever had more than £4k to build a car (including buying it). It was all finding the cheapest stuff i could afford and trying to make it look good.

This is why i get so frustrated that people with huge budgets still cant get the basics right!

Currently saving for something a bit special so fingers crossed ill be back to building cool stuff end of this year/beginning of next.

13. Jites

Jites Active Member

looking forward to it Initial J. The R32 and R34 were really well executed imo.

That's some history though, Ive had the same car for 4 years but its changed lots over that time. God knows whats next tho but its funny how at the beginning everyone spends on stuff they don't need.

Next car I know exactly what to get first diff, coils, lock and wheels before even driving the fucker.

14. Rs Adz

Rs Adz New Member

nice to see the different styles of people's first drift car

15. R322

R322 Member

Blue Silvia

Mods were, Exhaust and Filter

#15 R322, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  16. NYA

NYA New Member

Started with a 940 Volvo, also known as the Lowvo or the Lulvo. Cut out 4 springs, stripped the interior, welded the diff, fitted some harnesses and a Cobra seat and went out killing tyres. It only lasted 4 weeks before it sh!t the bed and refused to start, so I sold it to a Banger Racer mate.

Then went to an NB MX5 1.6 that really taught me the finer things of drifting, like control and how to keep it pinned.

Now i'm building up my 32 GTST Skyline.