Wheel Lip polishing

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by japcannon420, Mar 6, 2021.

1. japcannon420

japcannon420 New Member

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before, currently in the process of refurbing my work vsxx wheels and I'm having an issue polishing the outer lips.

I've polished them up before when they've been assembled and they've always come up great, however while they are off the car i (stupidly) decided it would be an idea to sand them back to a nice flat surface with 2000 grit, as they was quite a lot of pitting and general wear marks on them.

I've sanded everything down from 400 to 2000 grit, and then used a polishing wheel on a drill as my bench grinder isn't big enough to do them, the very outer lips have come up a treat to a perfect mirror finish, however the centre part of the lip has been a nightmare.

The centre part of the wheel lip is just not polishing and when it finally starts to come up it looks extremely wavy and crinkly, almost like roughly cast aluminium. It's a very distinct dead straight line round the whole wheel which leads me to think it may be due to the actual construction of the wheel itself.

I will attach some images of the issue, as well as the condition before polishing the centre part.
    IMG_1901. IMG_1902. IMG_1905. IMG_1906.

Any help on this would be a appreciated as i don't want to spend £700 on new lips lol.

Thanks in advance.