Which Camera?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by superclarkey, May 23, 2011.

1. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

I see some of the cards say HD on them, do you have to have a HD card to record HD ?

God I hate this shit, I want to just take a few pictures ... lol

2. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

Hurry up and fix your car.

3. superclarkey

Firstly, Thank you Bon for the interesting name change.. I was trying to log on at work for ages thinking my account was broken.. lol Dicky Clarke... :wack:

Back to topic, right I decided as I had no weekend off I decided while the sun was nice was to take the chance to go and have a few hours away from the workshop and enjoy the sun.. I've taken some pictures, some "arty" some just normal, they are all on AUTO mode but manual zoom/focus, This is just my "first go" nothing special i know, but i hope you guys can give me some tips and let me know if they are cool.. I've got a few more of my bros car I'm just up loading so there will be some car related images coming up shortly!! Just the great outdoors for now..

New Camera shots pictures by superclarkey - Photobucket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The camera does all the work, its amazing! Please let me know how I've done!! even if its harsh words haha :smash:

4. Car Media

Car Media Doughnut eater

looks good but the one with the tree trunk hurt my eyes :D

5. superclarkey

Is it just because its out of focus ? Sorrrry haha

6. Garrett_T25

Garrett_T25 Member

To be honest fella, you might as well use auto-focus! (Although for manual focus you're certainly not doing bad).

Learning the manual exposure side of things is always helpful for when you can't understand what the auto settings are trying to achieve too, but just take things one step at a time.

Whether you meant to or not, you've used a compositional aid known as 'selective focus' (using a shallow depth of field to use the focus to highlight a subject), which is a widely-used things these days. My only real advice for you from here is to 'acquire' a copy of photoshop and keep practicing! If you need advice on how to shoot something, or you're not quite sure how to achieve what you want, there's probably loads of people willing to help, myself included.

:thumbs:

7. superclarkey

Well i knew i wasn't going to be "on it" straight away, just like to know that i'm not doing 100% wrong.. Clearly i was focusing in so I was doing that in focus thing you mentioned, thats the kinda look i like and going for.

End of the day we all know this isn't me being good, its an extremely good camera doing amazing and me holding onto it :)

I have photoshop 7.

Here is a few pictures of my Brother E36 BMW, Its slightly on the mint side of things, however he was at work so i couldn't move it into a position i wanted or do inside shots :( Hope they are ok.

E36 BMW pictures by superclarkey - Photobucket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Do you take nudes?
    I need some new stuff for my portfolio...

9. superclarkey

The simple answer is no. lol

10. superclarkey

Have I scared all the camera experts off ?? lol

11. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

Good choice on the 550d, I have one and it is excellent, although I suck at using it.

If you want to do video and want cool lenses, look at using manual vintage gear with adaptors. I did this and what you can get for the money is ridiculous - got a Russian knock-off 35mm f2.8 and an adaptor for under £10 delivered, looks really nice. This is what his Brooksieness does and you've seen how awesome his videos look (though amazing shooting /editing talent and lots of other trick bits helps too, haha).

You could also use them for normal photography if you're confident in doing all the settings manually, using a viewfinder to look at the screen really helps when checking everything is in focus too.

I've got a whole bag full of vintage lenses and adaptors for every situation for less than the cost of the 50mm F1.8 (though you should get that too, for the money it's superb).

12. superclarkey

I've noticed if you record on a lower setting with higher frame rate, it looks much smoother.

Was hoping for some feed back on my pictures lol, guess they are not good lol

13. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

I think the rule is whatever your framerate, you set the shutter speed to double (unless you're just leaving it in auto mode). So when shooting at 50 FPS your shutter speed should be 1/100.

I like your pics, much better than anything I've taken haha.

14. superclarkey

15. chapman

chapman Member

Good choice on the 550D, it's a great camera :nod: Ideally what you should be doing now is starting to learn about manual exposure, the book A5H suggested (Understanding Exposure) is worth a read, it helped me a lot :wack:
    For the time being, you could try using P (program) mode, which lets you use different combinations of aperture and shutter speed to create a correct exposure, or you could use Av (Aperture priority) or Tv (Shutter priority), and experiment with these to see what impact different apertures and shutter speeds will have on the image.
    This little simulator might help, too - SLR Camera Simulator | Simulates a digital SLR camera
    :D

16. Daniel

Daniel you wa shock

Nice one dude. Some of the BMW shots are a tad overexposed but it's nothing you can't easily fix.

The 550D is a lovely camera!

17. superclarkey

Just had a quick go at some night shots on full manual mode! took me about 30shots to get close, then touched it up in photoshop as i didn't know how to get rid of the yellow glow from the street lights.

Please not i took these images from the camera being about 1 meter into my room, on a tripod pointing through dirty glass window that was giving a slight haze, the camera was fully zoomed in and the focus was very hard as it was maybe out of range to say the least.

[​IMG]

Any tips ?

EDIT: Photobucket has blured the image as its uploaded ??

18. kingdong

kingdong Member

I'm hoping to get a 550D soon as well

19. Dunkz

Dunkz Garage LSD

What memory card did you buy for yours clarky?

I bought a sandisk 16gb card, little did I know the transfer rate wasn't suitable for recording video, it just trips out after a few seconds. Need to get a second card for taking high def vids.

20. superclarkey

I went and got a 20mb speed, Class 10, Extreme Sandisk 16GB :thumbs:

I read that you have to have higher then Class 6 to work on this camera.