Which one to build e46 325 or s13

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by NightDrive, Oct 4, 2019.

1. NightDrive

NightDrive New Member

Hello, i am new here. Very happy to find a community like this... So, the title says it all.
    I will give you some info:
    I am from EU. I am not a mechanic but am very interested (watching videos and stuff) and i am buying tools right now. I will try to work on some stuff alone as much as i can. This will be a budget built (for now) and also my daily driver. I have one small car for back up but i will use this built for daily and weekend drift/track days.

For the e46 i have an endless list of chassis parts in my country and for cheap. The s13 (ca18det) parts will be mostly ordered online if i buy this one. The e46 will cost me more here to run it, mainly because of taxes. we pay depending on the displacement (yes.....not good at all). Overall, i will pay 700-850 more per year for the bmw but i can find bumpers and body parts for as less as 100-250 per part and all that near my area. I think E46 has normal backseats also, not that i care much but it's a nice plus for a daily, plus it's a newer car. On the other hand while i like the e46, i love jdm's and s13 in particular. Haven't driven any of those ever. m54b25 has 105k miles ca18 has unknown because the owner claims 50k miles. (no way that's true) i think he meant that he rebuild it or something. They are the same price at 6k. The bmw is very clean, no subframe issues and the s13 is clean too but not as much as the bm. As far as future upgrades...very far... engine-wise, i know i have the option for stroking the e46 or engine swap it with 330 (easier over here cause s54 are very expensive), or turbocharge it. I know some mechanics who knows the right way to do it on these cars. S13 can be engine swapped with sr20 or upgrade to a better turbo plus the rest. Crazy engine swaps from other chassis are not aloud if i want to be street legal. And i definitely want to be.

What would you buy if you were in my position? Is there anyone who had an experience with both cars? Will the maintenance be the same ? Does the age of the cars matter? Will the s13 be easier to gain more hp than the e46 for a better experience? Is there something else that i should think about this two cars? I would appreciate any opinion from those of you who know more. Thank you very much!

2. Magic_Performance

3. NightDrive

NightDrive New Member

Thanks. I really don't know what to choose. I love s13 so much but....I hate the interior (which i ll be watching most of the time driving). There are options if i find a bigger budget later. Changing the interior with s15 replicas or puting a good quality cover plus better seats and stuff....but all that swapping things may be difficult to do also. The s13 cost less. The bm is more ready to go. I really can't choose but i have to.

4. Pilkboid

Pilkboid Member

Is money an issue? The s13 is one of the best platforms but I get the point about having loads of bmw parts and spares in your country. If money isn't an issue though I'd go s13 every time. If your going to go bmw then go e36.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NightDrive

NightDrive New Member

Pilkboid , thank you. I watched the s13 from the guy that sells it. I haven't ever seen a super clean 200sx, so i can't compare. The car was giving clearly the feeling that's old even thought the exterior was painted. I saw he had welded the coilover mount columns (don't know how to call it in english) in the engine bay. He told me that he did that just to reinforce the chassis. No big crash. But with a non-mechanic set of bare eyes, i could see that the car had straight chassis and no rust. I tried to watch the paint carefully to check if there was painted rusted spots but i couldn't spot any. I am not an expert though. The dash was cracked but not awful. The speedometer sometimes doesn't work. Couldn't see the car underneath because i had no jack (i just went to get a sense of it before i go again with a mechanic). Stock seats, stock diff, straight pipe, had a good radiator and claims 240bhp. He had other parts installed and took them of to sell it (such as diff coils etc.) The doors were closing normally although i got a weird feeling about them (again i haven't ever seen a super clean s13 so i don't know). But for sure i didn't got the same feeling about closing my 2007 car doors. Maybe that's a clue for not straight central columns? Not sure. The engine sounded great, not a single weird sound. The trunk was nude without carpets and not painted. I checked for rust there and didn't see any although it was dirty as hell and i was not sure about those spots. If i buy the s13, i dream to restore it and make it look clean. Again, i want to have fun with it but i will also have it for daily and love it like a precious weapon. If that can't happen, i will prefer the 46. My only concern buying it is the possibility that i will not find parts easy on the web now and in the future. I ve heard people saying it's very difficult to find some parts some times. For example i want to change all the plastics from windshield,window's, restore dash, door handles, all this little things, even if i had to make custom stuff. make it feel like new little by little. Money is not so big of an issue as for buying the car but it is if i don't find parts in reasonable prices later. Don't know what will happen in the market for these cars the next years...I am not sure what is happening now to be honest. All i can do is search online and figure stuff out as i learn. s13 Costs 5.5k same as the clean bmw. If i go bmw it will be e46. I don't love bm's the same as s13 for not caring about looks. (personal opinion, i just like the e46 more).

6. Zach Ehrenreich

Zach Ehrenreich New Member

man, I gotta tell you, I've been working on a list of parts for a 2jz swap 325i, and my soul keeps breaking every time I look at the total price, and I haven't even finished adding stuff yet.