which turbo

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by steve t, Jun 10, 2020.

1. steve t

steve t Member

hi, im building a project with a sr20det, mainly for shows but want to do a bit off drag racing, the odd track day and maybe drifting, the t28 i have is in poor condition, so do i get another or get a gt2781r, i was going to upgrade at a later date but didnt want to at the moment but if im going to buy a new turbo im thing now might be the time to upgrade, the car has stage 1 chip, drift fly wheel and stock injectors, can i run like this for a while with the bigger turbo ?, then upgrade the rest later, basically dont want to upgrade the turbo twice, your thoughts please

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Nah bigger turbo needs all the supporting mods

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebe

thebe Member

And a tune. If you can throw thousands on it right now (injectors, clutch, turbo, ecu, tune, maf, piping, intercooler, exhaust etc) then go for a bigger turbo.

If you dont want to / cant spend the money now, get a new replacement for the current one and enjoy your car. Turbo too big will be shitty to drive as you cant boost it anyway so it'll be a total waste without supporting mods. Save money 'till you can do things properly.

You can simply sell your turbo if/when you decide to go all in and chase big power.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steve t

steve t Member

Thanks for the reply’s. Looks like I may need a new turbo as there finding it difficult to get the parts. There suggesting a hybrid which there looking into for me. I think they were saying it will spool up faster which I’m not sure I want. The car will be for shows and a bit of drag racing. If it’s spools up to quick can I control this withe a boost controller. Iv got a apexi avcr. Would I be better of with 60ar or 86 ar. Any help is welcome thanks

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Hybrid is a waste of time, you can't run anything bigger than the stock turbo with your current setup anyway.

If you want to run more power you need all the supporting mods, no way around it.

6. steve t

steve t Member

Ok thanks I’m new to turbo stuff. I done mostly v8 stuff so all about learning new stuff.