Wideband gauge HELP

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Silviarem, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Silviarem

Silviarem Member

Hi guys,
    I was looking into installing an AEM wideband gauge in my Silvia but I’m at a crossroads, I already have a wideband sensor installed that goes straight to the ecu and I wanted to divert this to the gauge and from the gauges output, divert to the ecu, this way I only use one sensor.
    However I have heard that gauges have input lag and was wondering if this would hinder the ecus performance?
    Should I just install a second sensor? The only issue with this is that I wouldn’t know what the ecu was seeing and I’d have little to go on if the sensor for the ecu goes bad.
    Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Spawn_CA18

Spawn_CA18 Member

if you are using standard ECU, that would be a narrowband sensor not wideband. so you can't reroute it to AEM gauge unfortunately.

3. thebe

thebe Member

Again what ecu? Im using nistune on my r33 Skyline and I have a plx wideband with narrowband signal fed to ecu replacing the OEM sensor.

4. Silviarem

Silviarem Member

It’s a power fc, maybe I’m wrong with the windband already installed bit, but I thought in order to properly tune an engine you needed a wideband as they’re far more accurate and quicker.

5. Silviarem

Silviarem Member

It’s an apexi power fc, so it’s not stock and has been tuned previously. Sorry didn’t mention that

6. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

You probs don't need the wideband for the ECU all the time, needed for tuning obviously but after that a narrowband should suffice.

The existing wideband can go to the gauge, some gauges can then output a narrowband signal for the ECU to use.
    Lag shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Silviarem

Silviarem Member

Cheers
    I have a feeling I don’t have a wideband then.
    I’m leaning towards just installing a second sensor as if the narrowband goes bad then a light will just appear on my dash. And if I was to go the plx route and have the gauge output a signal it would be pricey
    I think I’m getting the gist now ;)