Wider rear for 200SX S13

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Giormio, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Giormio

Giormio New Member

Hi to all.

I have a little building project and base is Nissan 200SX S13 with tuned CA18DET.

Car is getting wide body stretch up so that total width would be from 1690mm to somewhere around 1900mm. That's around 200mm or 7.9" added...

So obviously track width should be addressed.

I was thinking having DW rear arms kit so from there I would get 50mm or 2" width.
    But I think it's not enough as I would need spacers and wheels with quite a bit offset to get wheels to match the fender.

Any ideas how to add track width more than just the arms kit? Longer axles, kit with even more adjustment...?

Any help would be appreciated in this matter.

2. Giormio

Giormio New Member

Nobody has any info on this matter?

Found out that the whole rear subframe from S14 would add around half an inch of track width but I'm aiming for more...

3. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

Wider lower offset wheels ? If you get a custom set built you can have them as wide as you like and as low offset as you like to get them perfectly fitting under your arch's. Spacers would be the next way to go aswell but always thought of them to be a bit janky if you have gone to the trouble of making your car wider.

To be fair i wouldn't of made my car wider just for the sake of it if i didn't know what i was going to put under it just seems a waste but thats just my 2p's worth.

4. Giormio

Giormio New Member

You're correct, usually offset or some spacers are enough but this is a project car with quite a bit of body stretching and this is going to made just for car shows.
    Still it has to be driveable and has to be able to pass mot in my country so that's the reason I can't just do it with wheels and/or spacers.

Apologies for my poor presentation regarding this matter in first message and my English is not the best. :)

5. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

I can't see a reason why a car with wide low offset wheels or running spacers would fail a MOT ?

6. Giormio

Giormio New Member

Because if our idiotic laws... o_O

It a nutshell, you can't extend track width with wheels more than 30mm. With axles you can extend it extra 100mm.

Stupid, I know.

7. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

So you've built a widebody car and need to get wheels to fit it, but they can't be wide? You realise the idea behind widebody came about because people wanted to fit wider wheels than the factory guards could accomodate? So going widebody to not fit wide wheels sounds very, well, counter intuitive (to put it politely).

But if you're wanting a wider subframe get a complete C34 Stagea subframe, with arms, diff and axles. You will need the offset subframe mounts but otherwise it will bolt up and be ~20mm wider per side. Add the adjustable rear arms and your closing in on increasing track by 100mm. Also, increasing the track via extending the LCA you will be stretching the axles in the process so add an axle spacer while you're at it

• Like Like x 1
  8. Giormio

Giormio New Member

And the whole idea of the custom build show car is that it's a custom built concept show car. Has to be able to drive and pass mot, look futuristic, have some power....

One just needs to have some base for it and trust me that there ain't cars on the market with so potential and price with end being 15 cm wider than the front... :D

I think you're missing the point here (probably because of my mispresentation), nothing is built yet, body transformation will be done after all the work for the chassis. But main lines are decided and one thing is that rear needs to be way more wider and not done very just wheels... Also will be chopped, etc etc.

Wheels are going to be 10" but not with some horrible negative offset...

And thank you for the info, I'll look into that C34 subframe. :)

9. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Why can't you fit wider wheels? Is there a maximum of 10J? o_O
    If you want something to look really super especially showstopping wide, 10J wheels are pretty weak..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Giormio

Giormio New Member

Well for wheel width it might be a bit beefier than that but probably stay between 265 to 305.

Like I previously mentioned, track width can only be changed here (according to law, measured from center to center of tyres) 30mm with offset or tyre width, any more than that needs to be done with subframe and axles.

Spacers can be used they need to be ether wheel and/or vehicle manufacturers approved.

For shows it can be done any way one likes but if someone wants to take it on the road, then this much width change has to be accomplished with subframe modifications. :/

This is just a little obstacle that has to be rounded somehow... :D

OH, and no Stagea subframes anywhere in the country...

#10 Giormio, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  11. Starkey

Starkey Administrator
    Staff Member

What country are you in? I have never heard of this issue before

12. Giormio

Giormio New Member

Finland... Welcome to most controlled country ever... :smash:

This is the reason you don't see self built supercars here... Or any other concept cars for that matter...

13. Saddened

Saddened Member

At least you have regulations that look at your work and take measurements for upholding a law that has actual dimensions in it.
    In my country they won't even take a closer look and it is already a NO!

Would hub spacers count on the wheel or on the subframe side as far as your MOT goes?

I also thing you should decide on the wheels and then widen the arches to acomodate. Otherwise it may end up looking like something from "Leepu and Pitbull" show.

14. Giormio

Giormio New Member

OK, well that's even worse. I thought ours is bad enough.

Spacers are mentioned in wheel and tyre section of the law, and there's mention that wheels mounted on the vehicle should not significantly increase the wheel bearings or control
    devices stress in comparison with the original vehicle wheels.

And because of change of the wheels, track width is not allowed to change more than 30mm compared to original.

So even that spacers are not taken into account when looking at the lower offset and wider wheels, inspectior most probably informs that they add a extra stress and are not approved.

So this would have to mainly be done with subframe, ie longer arms and axles (or axle spacers).

And yeah, body workout will be done after rear axle have been altered, inspected and approved. :)