Workshop or Unit Space in the Colchester /C05 Essex Area For Rent ??

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Trickysadd, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

Hi ,
    I am thinking about renting a unit close to where I live for a few months. This is due to the 4 car garage I have at home needing some serious maintenance / changing into the workshops I need !!

In the meantime Ive started looking around the CO5 post code area.

So I thought I would post here initially just in case any one wants to rent me some space in their garage/industrial units, or would want to go together in renting somewhere ?

I don't like cold and leaks , I can get that in my barn , so I'm looking at empty newish build units on secure estates or farms. I am needing space for 3 maybe 4 cars ( 1 drift , 1 race , 1 MGB !) and large tool chests etc and would look to work on the cars whilst they are there. Maybe even let a mechanic friend of mine use it to subsidise the rent.

There seems to be a lot of empty units about, but I'm struggling to find ownesr etc at the moment and I dont really want to go through an agent !

Anyway , drop me a pm if you are interested or know of anywhere.

Rich

2. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

I have a good place I use for car storage in colchester on a farm... think its co4 postcode. As for workshop space you'd need to speek to him, however car spaces are £20 pcm each. It's not warm but it's dry and secure and private.

3. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

Sounds promising.Thanks.
    I would have thought by now I would have had a few suggestions. I used to use a little workshop /barn on a farm in Arlesford on the way to Clacton , but thats a 25 minute drive . Ideally a newish unit with power and light etc for 6 months would be good. But needs to be Colchester town centre or garrison side, or out where I live near Mersea island.
    I am willing to pay for it , up to a few hundred a month, but just want to avoid going to estate agents to begin with.

Looks like that may be my only route though. I'll google CO4 and pm you . Thanks for the info though mate.

Rich

4. Martin P

Martin P Member

Hi

Could you pm me the info in the place you had in Alresford please As I live near there and I'm looking for work/storage space.

Thanks
    Martin

5. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

Hi Martin,
    Until I have somethingelse sorted I am holding onto that as a worst case option as I trust the farmer 100%.
    I'll have a word with him though and if he has anything else I'll pm you.

Can't believe how difficult it is to find somewhere !

6. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

Ok looks like Ive found somewhere, between Colchester and Mersea. Brand new units nice and secure. Have some choice of space and at the moment hes looking at around £400 per month plus rates for a 1000 sqft or so.
    I have no idea if this is good or bad but he is open to negotiation. Its a secure compound with security cameras and lights, power / water etc etc.

Is that good or bad ?

7. -WJ-

-WJ- Dutch drifter

ur asking people with no money if 400 quid a month for storage is good or bad?

8. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

What are you weeping on about mate. There is another thread on here where several of the guys are paying a similar amount for units in Scotland . I am merely asking whether or not anyone in the South is renting and if the amount I am being quoted is fair. I am not an estate agent but yes I do have some money. Thats because I work hard.

If you want to troll my thread thats fine but arent you insulting a lot of people on here by assuming they have no money. I would never do that.

So unless you have anything slightly intelligent to add , just fuck off.

9. Martin P

Martin P Member

Doesn't sound bad for the size of the unit, you should only have to pay electric and water as your Not a business you should be able to claim exception from business rates on the unit.

If you could let me know about the unit in Alresford when/ if your ready to move out I may well be interested in taking it over.

10. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Sounds like a good find tricky! Top work! :nod:

Thread seeking missile launched using Tapatalk on my Galaxy S2, like a boss.

11. steve m50 turbo

hi tricky
    do they have anymore units as i live in colchester and am looking for a new workshop.
    thanks
    Steve

12. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

Hi Buddy,
    I'll have a chat with the land lord and see what his plans are. I may be moving into a bigger unit ,how many square feet are you after ?

13. steve m50 turbo

probably the same as yours or a bit smaller if he has any?

14. Mike w

Mike w New Member

Hi all apologises for posting on a very old post. But like the op I'm looking for a similar sized unit around Colchester to start to work on a couple drift cars. Would greatly appreciate if anyone knows somewhere or someone that would be amazing looking to pay around 450-500 ish.

Thanks very much

15. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

After sharing with a welder who was a mess and just covered everything in grinding dust , I moved everything home . I have been looking around Hadleigh for about a year now , but anything cheap is a non starter as most have been burnt by "non paying , skint " car enthusiasts, I get told by agents and the farmers barns are either dirty dusty or insecure. I've invested well over £50k in my soarer race car so far and I don't want it to go backwards ! ( Hadleigh is having a mini crime wave at the moment with teenagers )
    The only option are modern units on industrial estates. Prices are good in Ipswich , but you are looking at £5-700 / month plus rates and bills.

Basically what I've done now Is have a large barn built in my garden. The car then gets looked after by a prep company for any large work.

The money I saved over the last 2.5 years on a unit paid for an oak cartlodge.

I admit that its no help if you don't have space, but I guess what I am saying is think hard whether you actually need a unit.

R

16. Etypephil

Etypephil New Member

Hi Mike, likewise apologies to any bored by this.
    I am also looking for retirement project space around Colchester; I know of some units generally available in Coggeshall, at that sort of figure, which is more than I can justify. I would be interested in a share expenses and experience arrangement with another enthusiast, if somewhere suitably sized and priced can be found.
    Phil

17. TheRoadViking

TheRoadViking New Member

Of no use to the guys in Colchester etc. but i found my workshop (again on a farm) in the classified adds in a newspaper, its a very cheap for the amount of space i have (I've got 2 cars in there as well as a space to chill which would fit another car and a separate room which would fit a 4th car or a few bikes) a lot of farmers will rent out old barn space I've found.