Yes another SR20DE+T question

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by matt_23, Jun 23, 2018.

1. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Was thinking the same but thought I'd post it up here first.

Cheers

2. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Andddd I'm back.

Wasn't happy with a hacked up spliced together loom so I came across an s15 spec r engine loom, fitted that along with an s15 spec r ECU.

Obviously coil packs are different from my old s14 coil pack setup so I went with the R8 coil pack conversion.

But now I'm not getting a spark, I get fuel but no spark, checked all grounds but nothing.

I only have the engine loom which obviously connects to the ECU through the firewall to the engine, do I need any other part of the loom for it to work? Like the cabin loom which connects to the smaller plug to the fuse box under the steering wheel.

3. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Checked voltage to coil pack 1 and it's getting around 0.3 volts so that's the problem but why isn't it getting voltage?

Also what are the coil packs supposed to get?

4. Matshui

Matshui New Member

It sounds like you might need to follow the +12v along to see if there is a bad connection, or maybe a bad relay - they should see a constant 12v on Pin 1.

5. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Pin 1 on the coil pack plug? And still pin 1 with th R8 coils pack conversion?

Thanks

6. Matshui

Matshui New Member

Sorry, that's Pin 1 on the Audi coil that is +12v.
    From looking at the wiring diagram, your OEM coils should have the following connections/pins: Pin 1 +12v, Pin 2 ground, Pin 3 IGN-output from ECU - can you confirm havin only 3 pins on the OEM harness/coils? If so then you need to add the fourth wire that the Audi coils need: Pin 1 +12, Pin 2+4 ground, Pin 3 ING-output from ECU.

7. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Ahhh right

I bought a harness conversion so they do already have the 4th pin.

Was also told that the f4 plug isn't different on the spec s loom from the spec r?

8. Matshui

Matshui New Member

I don't know if the plugs are different, but then te Spec S runs the distributer, so wouldn't need the +12v for te coils... It is worth investigating, on the F4 plug pin 41 should be the 12v to the coils, which then goes in to the F2 ECM relay on pin 7, then out from pin 6 and then on to the coils via pin 1 on the F24 plug (the one were you likely connected your adapter harness to.

_YpQ2JdCs4GWOvhjbThP-RbcrF44nN3RGn7WUThrU2lvW1oFuk3ucYaxAPmYO8iMBMadnPUIpgxYHNgTXKA=w639-h378-no.
    YhRdrkoLM_rWVQH04MHH1iELna71trZFj-o-jS0XeiwdCE1tB7gpVhRKqGR5IadurygO6nAlqQH34kO-0qE=w382-h148-no.

• Like Like x 1
  9. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Ahhhh ok I'll check that when I'm home.

Thanks for that buddy.

10. Matshui

Matshui New Member

No problems - we need more S15's on the road, so happy to help.
    BTW, the wiring schematics for the OEM coils is EC-112 and 113 in the service manual if you need it later.

11. matt_23

matt_23 Member

I hear ya, it's been off the road for 7-8 months after the turbo conversion being done and the R8 conversion was the last thing I needed to get it back in the road so was abit of a downer when it wouldn't fire up!

12. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Haven't got round to checking the plugs but on the coil pack loom (pin 1 f24 plug) as you said I am getting 12v to that pin but if I check the coil pack plug there isn't anything going to anyone of the pins.

Unless it will only when I turn it over? But since power is going to that pin 1 on the f24 plug then surely it would go though to the coil pack plugs?

Cheers

13. Matshui

Matshui New Member

If you see 12v on F24-Pin1 then you should also see it at the coils, again on pin 1, as there shouldn't be any connections, relays er such between those two points. It might be worth measuring if there is actually a connection all the way through on your conversion harness (F24 - coils), it sounds like that might be where you have a problem, and it might just be as simple as a bad crimp or a broken wire.

14. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Ye so getting power to the f24 plug but nothing after that so guessing it is to do with the conversion harness.

I'll have a look tomorrow when I get time and see if there's anything obvious.

15. matt_23

matt_23 Member

The conversion harness has the 6 pins but the f24 plug on the loom only has 5 pins? Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

I ran a separate power feed to the harness but still nothing.

Now thought I'd try anything at this stage so to each coil pack plug there 2 black wires/1 red wire/and each plug has 1 different colour wire, dont know why but I thought surely the power wire would be the same colour to every plug and in the pin 1 position on the f24 plug was a yellow wire which only leads to the 3rd coil pack so I switch them so the red wire is in pin 1 position on the f24 plug and cranked it.

It does kind of fire as you can here it trying to fire up but I think the firing order is wrong, so do you think the wires could be pinned wrong?

#215 matt_23, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  16. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Turns out the power was in the wrong pin, but also I had to set my cas up again once I did that it fired straight up.

It's lumpy and tries to die so not sure there's a boost leak or breather or somthing.

17. Matshui

Matshui New Member

Sorry, have only just seen this now - but good to hear that you at least got some life into it.
    Also, from the wiring diagram I am referencing, F24 should have 1 unused pin.

Since you already found one mistake on the wiring of that harness, I would also check the wiring for the ignition signal coming from the ECU, should be as follows on the F24 plug:
    Ign1: Pin 6, R/W wire
    Ign2: Pin 5, R/Y wire
    Ign3: Pin 3, R/G wire
    Ign4: Pin 2, R/L wire
    These all need to go to Pin 3 on the coils.

18. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Not to worry buddy appreciate your help.

Checked all wiring and it is correct, starts up and runs but idle is terrible/up and down and tries to die.

Will check for any boost/vacuum leaks the weekend also check any other wiring and grounds, any leaky injectors and whatever else that could cause it.

1 thing I'm not sure on is if I've ran all the vacuum lines correct, I have a manual boost controller/bov/boost gauge but is there a diagram that is the right way to run them? Google comes up with so many different ways im not sure what to follow.

Cheers.

#218 matt_23, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  19. Matshui

Matshui New Member

Regarding running the vacuum lines for all of your boost-control, I would refer to someone like Turbosmart, they have mounting instructions readily available on their website, and I would trust them to know what they are talking about - https://www.turbosmart.com/instructions/
    I have also once heard that you should avoid tee-ing into the acuum reference for the fuel pressure as that can cause some problems - but I can't remember from whom/where I heard it, so don't take it as the only truth ;) But there should be extra vacuum ports under the upper intake manifold, you should be able to find something there to run to you blow-off and gauge.

20. matt_23

matt_23 Member

Ahhh thanks for that seems I have it all hooked up correctly.

It was idleing terrible up and down.

Got it to idle ok now but it's reluctant to rev up and when I let go of the accelerator it dies, little bit of blue smoke and does smell kinda rich.

It did come up with a cam angle sensor fault but checked it a few times but didn't come up again just keeps coming up with 55 so no faults.

Checked timing and all is fine, got the timing light out and ignition timing is fine.

Only thing I haven't done is pressurising the boost pipes to see if there is any leaks but not sure how to connect my compressor to the inlet intercooling piping to do so.

Any ideas of what else I could check.