Youth Group Drift Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by timsmr2, Oct 3, 2012.

1. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

I am volunteering at a local youth group who wanted to do a car based project. We have managed to buy a e36 320 SE (not the bestskidder I know) for almost scrap money. It was completely standard when we got it, we have also been given a set of e46 wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were anxious to start doing something so we have started stripping the interior and here how it stands so far.

[​IMG]

So far to do list is looking like

- strip interior
    - service
    - sort any rust & poss paint matt black
    - weld diff
    - hydro
    - ebay coilovers
    - look at increasing steering lock
    - any lifestyler bits we can do on the cheap

#1 timsmr2, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. supernova-dw

supernova-dw Active Member

Sounds like you've got the right idea when it comes to mods. Keep us updated.

3. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

It been a long time without any updates but things have been moving along (slowly).

We have managed to get a grant of £900 from the council to get us started with our project, and are in the process of buying bits.

first to arrive was this

[​IMG]

It was quite expensive to buy it new but we didnt want to get an out of date seat for safety/liability reasons.

We also have some JOM coilovers on order and are on the lookout for M3 front top mounts.

4. hansen

hansen Member

this is such a good idea! i wish people would try and embrace the fact that this is a team sport and show some support for the sport! fair play ill keep an eye no this! :D

5. Hazzles

Hazzles Member

Good that you've got a grant from the Government, although does this mean you'll have to shell out for a proper LSD (rather than a welder) for the same reason you had to buy a new seat?

6. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Thanks hopefully we will see other similar projects popping up. As you say its great to be involved in a project like this.

7. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

I would say that we should be ok as long as we get the welding done by a professional (or do it under the supervision of one).

With the seats if someone was injured driving the car and it was fitted with FIA dated seats that had expired then. I think it could be an issue. Although if we use the standard BMW seats we would be fine from a liability stand point as they don't go out of date (if that makes sense).

There aren't any "local authority car project guidelines" to follow, but we are meant to risk assess any activities we do with the young people. So our thinking is that with things like seats / subframes / harnesses etc is worth spending out the extra to make this as safe as we can.

8. hansen

hansen Member

defo, maybe look into getting a cusco type roll cage also, that would make things that much safer….

9. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Good call. We are hoping to get a cage probably a 6 point bolt in when funds allow.

At the moment we are planning on getting it up and running as a basic drift-able setup. Then hoping to get some local businesses to help sponsor the project. So hopefully we should be getting a cage as like you say cage + seat + harnesses is going to make it much safer.

10. Glenbmx

Glenbmx Member

What an awesome oppurtunity for the kids! Where abouts will they be skidding it?

11. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

We are looking at this at the moment. None of the them can drive yet so we really need to get them in the car and learning the basics first. The group I work with is part of the Army Welfare Service so there is a possibility that we can use some MOD land near us for driving learning/practice, although I don't know if they would allow anything more than sedate driving.

For drifting the POD is probably the nearest place that has regular events to us. I have seen a few southwest based events but these seem to be irregular.

12. vdublou94

vdublou94 Member

This is awesome what you are doing!
    Keep it up man, sounds like you're going about it the right way.

13. Koncept_drifT

Koncept_drifT Member

keep it up!! awesome stuff:)

14. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

this is great... keep doing what your doing ;)

15. alextull1

alextull1 cool as a fan

This is great. If you can get a little bit more info about who you are / what you're doing then you might get some donations from the Driftworks community!

#15 alextull1, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  16. Magic21

Magic21 Active Member

brilliant idea :)

17. timsmr2

timsmr2 Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

To give you a little bit more info about us.

The Youth group is run by the Army Welfare Service from Ordnance House in Tidworth, Wiltshire.

They run various sessions there which are open to young people from both army and civilian families.

The car project is run as part of the seniors session which is on Wednesdays.

As for the project it has 2 main parts.

The first is to work on the car our current plan is to build a basic spec drifter in time for this summer.

Our current list is

stripped interior
    e46 wheels
    Bucket seat
    M3 evo front topmounts
    ebay coilovers
    steering wheel and boss
    hydraulic handbrake
    Steering lock hubs / arms

The second part is to try and get sponsorship / donations in order to progress the project. For that we are getting them to go and try and get sponsorship from local firms and then we will be displaying the car at various local events over the summer to promote the project and any sponsors we can get.

18. mint

mint touch my fruit

Your doing a good thing mate. All the best with this project. I have no spare BMW bits or id help out.

:) Looking forward to your progress though.

19. Dgr

Dgr Member

Great idea :)

Nice to see something constructive. Hopefully all goes well, Im sure people on here will help with spare bits etc if they can.

20. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I live in Bridgwater Somerset and I can donate some spares if you can come grab them.
    Plus my mate is selling some brand new evo top mounts for £80 (£120 new) you could grab when you're here.

I have 3 or 4 odd 17" wheels, a stack of 17" and a couple 15" drift tyres, a black dash (you could flock this and cut it out for a cage) and maybe some other shit in my garage.

I'm a registered manager of a kids home and I'm always happy to see cool shit like this going on.