1.6 single cam to 1.9 twin cam worth it ??

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Matts Turbo'd, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Matts Turbo'd

Matts Turbo'd Member

Ok so been offered a running 1.9 twin cam engine cheap and want something with a bit more poke in my compact.

But cant really afford a 2.5 or 2.8 swap and don't really wanna get raped on insurance either declaring it or not declaring it.

is it worth bothering with doing as not to bad to actually declare the swap on my insurance or just save my money and plow on with the 1.6 single cam powers.

Cheers

Matt

2. dandadude

dandadude Active Member

Your insurance will go up for any engine swap if your declaring it so may as well go all out and go 2.5/2.8 m50 manifold etc. A friend of mine with a touring went from a 1.6 single cam which was ridiculously slow to a 1.9 twincam and although it did make a noticeable difference it still wasn't exactly quick lol. Be better if you can wait/save for a 6 cylinder engine. Good luck.

Dan

3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Good revvy engines, can do good skids if the cars stripped of all excess weight and set up well.
    Depends what it's going to cost though.

4. Matts Turbo'd

Matts Turbo'd Member

cheers for the help

Dandadude yeah i have a semi stripped compact so its not to heavy to start with and teh 1.6 skids ok but want some more power and a bit quicker on twisty little back roads i can keep up with my mates 2.8 but drifting i get smoked quite literally but to declare the swap only puts my insurance up 150 quid and for a 2.5 puts it up about 1700

andy i know a few guys that are running ti compacts and seem to be doing ok with them as they are basically a ae86 so require a bit of getting used to but with it stripped and set up well can do some good skids

think im gonna say sod it and go for it and see what happens main problem for me is insurance coz id go and get a s14 but insurance is killer