Twin Drifting crash at Buxton

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by JohnJ, Sep 7, 2012.

1. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

I have had a fair bit of stick over the last couple of years for allowing non-caged cars to twin at my events.

Well last Saturday it happened, the accident that people have warned me about. At the fastest part of the track the lead car spun, one of those real quick 180 degree spins. The following car T boned itself into the front of the spun car right on the drivers door with no time to brake.

I'm pleased to say no-one was hurt. I'm even more pleased that I see no reason to implement any changes to the way things run at Buxton.

This is Ben's BMW, this car hit Matt's front end drifting on the limiter in 2nd gear.

[​IMG]

As this shows the door hasn't even encroached into the passenger compartment.

[​IMG]

Ben was back out as soon as he'd brushed the glass off himself and got hold of a window net. (Windows up or nets at Buxton).

And Matt's E30?

[​IMG]

After shaking Ben's hand he was back on it.

That's all.

2. GB / John

GB / John NDC Runner Up 2012

BMW's are strong pieces of shit. Be interesting to see an S13/14 take that hit.

3. Andrew_baran

Andrew_baran Member

It's a good job it wasn't the other way round - I wouldn't like to be in a side-on in my E30...

4. Cades

Cades Member

'yay someone got lucky,f**k health and safety'
    After bending a 180 pretty much in half,i personally would rather have a cage and keep my legs. But each to their own.

5. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

We'll see it at some point no doubt. I was very impressed at the strength of the BMW.

6. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Do you think it's the first event I've run or something? How are you getting on without your legs?

7. Cades

Cades Member

I didn't make any reference to the amount you've put on. Luckily i kept them,even after the floor bent over my pedals.

8. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

What happened? Got a pic?

9. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

Cool no one was hurt. Whilst I'm pretty keen to always have a cage on race tracks, I dont think it's particularly necessary on the small ring tracks. You're hardly going fast enough to do much damage other than bang your mug so a helmet is enough. I'd still have a cage by choice mind, but dont think it should be made a rule.

10. YorkshireRam

YorkshireRam Harry Loves Ewe

At the end of the day, we're all just sexy little fleshpots that drive around in big lumps of steel, everything is a fucking danger nowadays, although I'd probably be statistically safer twinning/crashing around Buxton all day than driving on roads with the general populace. :)

11. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

This.... Jap metal bends very easily....

The aftermath of the nissan:

[​IMG]

The BMW E36 had hardly a scratch... didn't even smash the rear quarter window o.0 Can't find a pic of it mind you.

12. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

tbh its usually those rediculous stupid solid metal tow hooks sticking out the front bumper that does the damage and not the bumper which covers a much bigger surface area which dissapates the impact better.

Cant believe organisation still lets them being used !!!

13. mint

mint touch my fruit

What about the 2 BMW's that crashed at Crail? I was behind them when one T boned the other.. the driver seat moved and came off ALOT worse than the pics up top here.. We weren't even going that fast however the driver was lucky to keep his legs imo.

Glad neither driver was injured however be warned that the BMW will bend .. I watched it happen. It scared the shit out of us. Cages; at least door bars IMO should be used if people are going out to TWIN. Thats just my opinion though.. the NDC wont allow twinning without a cage. Makes perfect sense.

14. Jeek™

Jeek™ Active Member

mint the speeds down the straight at crail are way higher than on an oval

15. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

I forgot about that Mint... when was that again?

16. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Sorry, who is making people with no cage run?

If you don't like it, don't twin.
    Use some common sense.

17. mint

mint touch my fruit

Iv forgotten when it was, the last SXOC drift day I went to with the MX5.. Was pretty sketchy but the dudes were ok as far as I remember.. were you not there?? The ambulances and shit had to go out and I ran to the dudes door to see if he was ok and it was a bit of a mess like.. :S

18. bell

bell Without patience

twinning is a grey area, everyone has there views on what should or shouldnt be the regulations with being part of a drifttrain.

any car has weakness areas, but most vehicles are built to a standard for road use and can take a fair bump.

if buxton was any faster than it is i would be openly suggesting cages in this thread, but i also believe its at the discretion of drivers to decide to fit one for the buxton practice days.
    if the speed gets any higher at buxton (which is to be expected as everyone wants to push there personal boundrys) im sure john j and the team will address the situation to suit the venue at that time.

with regards to crail, the long straight seems a fair bit longer to me than the straight at buxton so higher speeds seem easily more reachable. the question to ask is with the accident that you witnessed mint, from there on out did you and everyone else get stopped and told you would need rollcages from there on out? as its at the owner/organisers discretion as much as the driver.

as i say everyone is entitled to there views and nobody is forced to take part at any venue, so drivers do accept a lot of responsibility.

19. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

I say twinning is at your own risk as is having a cage if you are drifting. Gladly nobody was hurt but id rather be with than without.

Buxtons great its cheap and friendly and is great for skint peps like myself having to have to have a cage to twin/skid would put alot of people off i think

20. mint

mint touch my fruit

The day ended after that. Was like last laps I think.. dont get me wrong, I think the over use of H&S is crazy now adays and obviously not everyone can afford a cage or some dont want a cage (If their car is a daily) that makes sense; But when I seen what happened it made me feel sick.. The idea that if one of those BM's went into my MX it would of wiped me out.. same with when I had a bike plough into me.. I was lucky. So it could happen at any point.

I was just saying if people are going to go out to twin, practice twinning etc then it makes sense to at least have some kind of door bars just in case.. Im one to talk... I dont, and im itching to twin with someone :/