E36 5.0 Levin

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by topi, Oct 9, 2013.

1. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

[​IMG]

This swap might take a little while to get going properly, as I've got a couple things to tie up first. But need all the motivation I can get.

I'm pretty confidant in saying that I've reached the limits of the stock M50 motor. It's taken me all over the place, smoked limiter in 3rd consistently, and made some really cool noises - but I need more beans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I purchased a Ford 5.0 V8 and T5 5spd transmission combo from an 88 Rustang. Why? Cheap, replaceable, easy power, sounds cool, Vanilla Ice.

The M50 came out so easy, I was almost disappointed. This will be going into my 318i daily over the coming weekend.

[​IMG]

And here's the lump that'll be going in

[​IMG]

Not aiming for huge power, I want 300whp/300lbs.... RELIABLY. The good thing is every trailer park around here has a couple 5.0 Mustangs rotting away in the grass haha.

2. willirl

willirl Member

looking forward to see how this comes together, favourite e36 on here!

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Awesome work sir.
    I'm sure you remember I totally bum 5.0 Mustangs so if you need any info, jus ask.

TBH for 300/300@wheels it will be piece of piss anyhow, and the T5 box will just lap that shit up too.

See if you can get hold of a 2nd hand set of alloy heads, or even those cheapy Chinese ones that are all over US eBay, they flow loads more, making the power target piss, but you'll also knock about 35kg in weight off the engine too.

Then again, with any luck the engine will sit a good bit further back than the BM6 anyhow.

Only gay thing about the 302 is the oil pump sits low in the middle of the sump, so unless there no subframe in the way at the point (I cant remember on E36s), you can't have it sitting as low as some engines.

Fuck it, even if its a bit higher, its still ace.

4. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

Knew you would like this one Stav!

The e36 crossmember shouldnt cause any issues with the oil pan, but the steering shaft will get in the way of the exhaust. This means...... It'll be louder than fuck, because I cannot be doing with fancy exhaust making.

5. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

any updates mate

6. Leslie DG

Leslie DG Member

great plan :) we did that in a 5door sierra, quite easy job. oil pan is no problem, sierra crossmember is small, but the rack sits higher than e36, so it will be more easier. needed a bulkhead cut, but we weld back the same piece only a few cms backwards with some additional sheetmetal. sierra rack is wider, shaft just passing the exhaust by 4-5mm :) t4 box is a shit, already have a 30d box and a spare bellhousing, do that in wintertime.
    ohh, steering pump is weak, doing like 50bar, eu fords do 70, bimmer works like 100... need to upgrade.

7. topi

topi KlutchKickKidz

I was considering getting rid of the power steering anyway, I'll think about that.

Did you get rid of the EGR and SMOG crap?

8. MJG

MJG Active Member

Yeah bin the PAS. I loved mine on 15s without PAS. It breaks the steering column bits though, so make sure it's all tight and doesn't slip or snap shit. It gets a lot more load through it without PAS and when I sold my coupe, the next event it did the steering failed! haha.

Lolz at you now saying "steering shaft" and "oil pan" too :D

Get this shit FINISSHED.

9. M!chael

M!chael Member

This will be next level!

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Fuck all the EGR and emissions shit RIGHT off mate. Just plug the holes and whatnot.

He's gonna have a fender bender next, and modify his trunk and hood.

Boys forgot his roots already :cry:

11. ayzdbaksh

ayzdbaksh Member

Is that the inner beast drawn under the bonnet?

12. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

13. Leslie DG

Leslie DG Member

no EGR, nor lambdas, the ecu running in "safe mode" we just wait for a standalone but have shitload of torque still.
    won my second amateur event with this second lap:

no muffler, only X pipes and side outlets at rear wheel.

14. Neilios

Neilios Member

Nice sound.

15. essexcapri25

essexcapri25 Member

16. DanMateX

DanMateX Member