Does anyone still ride pit bikes, and did any of you move on to proper motocross?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Pikey, May 16, 2013.

1. bkvj

bkvj enden?

Rode quads most my life and took them to the track a couple of times. Not very nice on quads, and gets expensive if you land it sideways and snap axles/roll it etc.

Tried it on a bike but dislike it (probably because I can't ride bikes very well so trying to fly them is uncomfortable as fuck!). I prefer enduro much more personally.

Plenty of friends race MX though. Expensive if you take it seriously. Don't do it if you have a job that requires parts of your body not to be broken. Friend of mine is a pilot and didn't last 2 weeks between breaking wrists. Broke 4 in a year (mainly because he's a fucking idiot and took the cast off too early). Boss told him to dump the bike or he's sacked.

2. B4DMF

B4DMF New Member

I grew up on quads, then got a crosser when I was 15. Loved them both. Did a bit of county level MX, but found I couldn't progress much further compared to those that grew up on the bikes. There was always someone coming away with an injury every meet (to some extent or another) and when I started working full time, gave up competitive riding, as I couldn't afford the time off injured. Still love riding, but just do it as a hobby.
    I'd definitely say go full size, but go in easy as it's completely different to a pit bike.
    Also, make sure you've got decent safety gear and not just a lid.

3. ElkWörks

ElkWörks Member

cant beat a bike. ive racked up just under 100k miles on the things in a few years, including 50k in one year on one road bike.

recently bought a drz400s, not a true dirt bike as its tooooo heavy, but I have such a laugh on it, got hold of some SM wheels ready for summer, need to sell my fazer600 now as I just don't use it anymore. some ace bikes in here, love the husa 570!

4. PeterT

PeterT fuck diffin.

Ive got the itch to buy another mx recently. Got to head to a decent track with herselves little brother adn his crf250 on tuesday...ended up in a&e. haha

5. milsom93

milsom93 Member

I started on a pit bike when I was like 8 then moved up onto a CR85 when I was like 14, went to a at 16 125, decided it would be fun to make it road legal at 18, came off within 10 minutes of riding it on the road and ended up in hospital for 14 days and going through 3 operations. This is the reason I decided to put all my money on cars. Seriously though just do it and don't think your top nacker as soon as you jump on! cant beat the buzz flying over jumps.

6. Pizzodrift

Pizzodrift Member

this is my Kawasaki KX 250 with my CBR
    [​IMG]

7. mati

mati Member

I used to ride dirt bikes since I was 16 years old, I had 125 and 250 two strokes, then the 400cc four strokes, I loved it. Then I destroyed my knee, and took a ten year break. Two years ago I got a CRF450, and I got back into riding, but somehow the fuel injected four stroke felt unnatural to me, so I sold it and got an O.G. CR250R two stroke. I'm totally in love with riding again. So much that I kept the bike in my living room all winter:

[​IMG]

8. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

Just a little update on this - as I missed out on doing Driftcup this year I thought I'd have a go at the minibike nationals, and riding round at the back because my 120 is quite slow isn't really my cup of tea, so I bought this:

[​IMG]

Welsh Pit Bikes 140. Physically its a lot bigger than the 120, and should have about twice as much power :wack:

I'm going to do the minibike national championships this season, Veterans class (lol) :D

9. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

Nice :)

I have a DemonX crf50 with a cammed YX140 engine and some nice suspension, I just love the tiny frame for chucking around the farm.

I Also have a YX160 engined go-kart, its faster than you'd think. I love the YX engines. Plenty power, fairly reliable and cheap as chips :)

10. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

I wasn't sure the 140 would fit in the CR50 chassis, hence going for a new bike rather than a new engine in my old bike.

11. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

Even the YX160 fits the CRF50 frame, its very tight and the brake pedal needs modified, though. And its way too torquey for the frame size. The 140 is perfect.

12. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

Well after all this discussion about risks and injuries, I entered the minibike nationals and fell off and broke my fucking wrist anyway, metal plate and screws holding my arm together now, lol

13. TheDriftLane

TheDriftLane Member

Ive had pitbikes from an early age and full size bikes for the past10 years(off road), never a full out motorcrosser simply due to the cost and now being on the road in a car that has taken full interest. in terms of fear its like anything really, got to step up gradually and after a while you wont even be thinking about crashing but more so of how you can make yourself faster

14. F51

F51 Member

I started out at 4 years old on a little yamaha pw50 then stepped up to a kx100 then a yz125 and finally a yz250. iv ridden a few 2 and 4 stroke crossers but if i got another it would be a yz250. dont worry about danger, thats the fun part!