AE86 Tow Hook Bracket Rear Chassis Leg Help. ( Part Identified ) .

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by treerexaudi Official, Aug 7, 2018.

1. treerexaudi Official

I recently got my hands on two rear zenki tow hooks from Japan for my ae86 but I can't seem to find where to attach them. After looking on the internet I found an ae86 without a bumper that has a peculiar part that the tow hooks would probably attach to.

(What is the part shown by the red arrow attached to the one with the yellow arrow)

https://gyazo.com/ef27197cafc7b3d985865fff43b0a63c

2. treerexaudi Official

Minor Bump I know the ae86 is a rather uncommon car but any bit helps.

3. Paz

Paz -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY- UK Drift Since 2001

Its the rear chassis leg....

• Like Like x 1
  4. treerexaudi Official

Thank you so much for replying! :D and by any chance is this a part in Japanese domestic market only? As mine doesn't appear to have one.

5. treerexaudi Official

Not sure what to do now. Got the tow hooks awhile back and can't seem to put it in without the rear chassis leg and my ride doesn't have one what a pain. If anyone would be willing to help would be great. Already searched many places where I could possibly find one with no luck.

Best regards,

-tree

6. treerexaudi Official

~title changed~

Part found and identified by Paz, but I hate to bother you again, but is this part welded to the body on the bumper bracket holder or is it screwed in as well? (After searching starting to wonder if it was only welded to cars other than USDM Or Canadian Cars)

7. oscar

oscar Member

iirc they slide into slots and the bolts drop down into them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. treerexaudi Official

That is very good to know thank you. it is only a matter of where I can find these things.

9. treerexaudi Official

10. oscar

oscar Member

Totally confused now.
    Please post up a picture of the back of your car and the parts you need to fit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. treerexaudi Official

My apologies. As in the first picture what the red arrow is pointing too is what I am looking for but here is how mine looks if you compare both pictures I am sure you'll see what I mean. :)

My cars rear end
    https://gyazo.com/7b46475aa5b61c98c7a5441f03114e6f

12. oscar

oscar Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. treerexaudi Official

Thank you so much for sharing this as it makes it much easier to see how things line up and where they are located. The thing I need to really know now is if the bolt holes from the brackets line up with the bolt holes where the tow hooks are located from top to bottom.

*And of course how far down they go down, (the space in-between) like from top to bottom*, because I am trying to possibly get some welded on with custom metal sheets.

If you are anyone here knows this please feel free to share your info. :)

Best regards,

-tree

EDIT: By any chance from the picture you showed me with the guard removed are the tow hook holders slanted? (also I believe the bolts don't drop down from the brackets to the tow hooks as the tow hooks appear to have there own bolts thanks again for sharing)

#13 treerexaudi Official, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. treerexaudi Official

UPDATE: I found yet another picture on how the tow hooks go on, but it isn't nearly as good as the one provided by Oscar. (Thanks again for your contribution by the way).

https://gyazo.com/84162490a45b574f0a359834b72a0531

Still If anyone has an ae86 or any other car which has a similar setup (maybe the mr2 not sure). I still need to know if they are slanted in the back of the piece or flat/ level with the one above, and if the bolts holes line up with the ones above where the bumper brackets go.

(And maybe of course the measurement of the gap in-between the too if I am to fabricate and weld on a piece to hold the tow hooks)

Best regards,

-tree

15. treerexaudi Official

16. treerexaudi Official

Still looking for someone that has the lower bracket so I can confirm the slant and where the holes line up. :) This would probably be the best thing to do if I were to make my own hookup.

Also I have found these images that are from the actual drift works ae86 but I am not sure if the regular tow hooks would work with this but still it is an amazing fabrication.

(Working on getting a stock tow hook on mine not after market)

Towhook2. Towhook1.

17. treerexaudi Official

UPDATE: I am still looking for the dimensions where the holes line up or go. And I changed the title for people who want to contribute or find these useful pics I have acquired here on the forums thanks to the help of you all! :D

Yes thats right I recently found a build / restoration pic of an ae86 and I finally got a clear side shot at them and I think it is safe to say that they are in fact slanted! ^-^

https://gyazo.com/11c0d04c51d61712e801557c2749db9a

Also I am looking to buy these parts if anyone has them as quite a few people have them, and choose not to run tow hooks on the rear and of course if they slide out like the contributor mentioned above.

Best regards,

-treerexaudi Official