T28 rebuild help.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by captain_chaos, Aug 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Hey everyone :wave:

Finaly have my S13 at stage 2 and my god its like a TRAIN!!!!! :wack: Still wouldnt mind getting it on the rollers to see what power it has :p

But my turbo started smoking :cry: Its not too bad at the moment so Im giving it a bit of an easy life for now.

I want to rebuild it with one of the 360 degree bearings and a t25 exhaust housing. But I will need it balanced wont I?

I think I can rebuild it and fit the new bearing and seals myself but where to get the shaft balanced?

I found this place but not sure, has anyone used this place and what they like? (Do apologise for my specialness, this is my first turbo car and I have a lot to learn)

Turbo parts, spares & rebuild parts

Is there anything else I need to know? Any help appreciated:thumbs:

2. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

I am sure there are mixed views on this but I have rebuilt many turbos with a simple re-build kit. You get all the wear parts (bearings and seals) as well as new bolts, gaskets etc. The compressor and turbine wheels are balanced already. I have never had balance issues. Just make sure there is no damage to the turbine and compressor blades. The only thing I recommend is measuring the bearing housing bore and turbine shaft to make sure they are within limits. Also that the bearing housing seal bore is not worn. You can get oversize/undersize bearings if they need a shaft re-grind.

I got all my parts from BTN turbo http://www.btnturbo.com/

Remember the compressor nut may be a left handed thread.

Just found this....

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/technical/60665-how-rebuild-your-t28-turbo.html

#2 4_Stroke, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Ah cool....it doesnt seem to be much of a hard job, I got an old t25 that Im busy takin apart just to see what it all looks like as I never had a turbo apart.

I will have a go sometime next couple weeks.

I found a few tiny little nicks on the cold side turbine but nothing seems to be bent. Reckon that would need balancing for sure?

4. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

What do you mean nicks? If the compressor wheel is damaged it may be worth replacing it.

5. captain_chaos

captain_chaos Member

Ummm they seem like small surface scratches, dont look like cracks.

I will take a photo tonight and put it up after work. But even now with it smoking a bit it boosts fine and keeps hurting my neck :)

6. 4_Stroke

4_Stroke Member

Smoking could just be turbine seals worn.