My new toy: HobbyKing Mission-D (Pic Heavy - thumbnails)

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by SkylineLvr, Mar 20, 2014.

1. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

So I recently got my new toy and finally decided to get it set up. I purchased it from HobbyKing. It's a Mission-D 4WD GTR Drift Car. Those that know their chassis will probably notice this looks a lot like a Yokomo DRB. This is essentially a DRB clone :eek:. Doing a little research online and I discovered that DRB parts are a straight fit on these. Some might say why not just save up and get a DRB? I was looking for a low budget drift car that I could perhaps build as I go. For around £50, you can't beat this set up. It's an almost R2R set up. All that was needed was a battery and a controller. It came with a 22T brushed motor and ESC. If I end up getting into RC drifting (which I'm sure I will), then I can start purchasing some DRB bits. I may end up paying more in the long run, but I suppose it's like working on a real drift car. You could just save up your money and buy one already built, or you can use your money now on a rolling chassis and build it up to your liking. Anyways, here are some pics.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And yes, those aren't typos....It does in fact say Niassn, Skylln, and Nssmo lol, but it does read GTR correctly. I suppose they weren't able to get licensing or didn't go through with trying to get it licensed. It does still have the plastic film over the body. Once I figure out what color I want to paint it, I'll be cutting her up and doing some modifications. It's a pretty shitty body, so I'll be able to go through some trial and error with it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's some pics of the chassis. Surprisingly, the build quality is quite nice. I'm sure not up to the standards of a real Yokomo DRB, but for £50, it's excellent. The only issue I have found so far is the rear A-Arm is missing one of the spacers. Perhaps one of you fine fellows may have a spare one lying about, or perhaps know where I can actually find some for sale.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's how it looks from lock to lock. Not too bad for stock I suppose. Another thing I've noticed is when I turn the car on and turn the wheels from lock to lock, they don't always go back to center or it doesn't appear to center perfectly. Seeing that it is a clone and came so cheap, I'm not too disappointed. I think my first upgrade will have to consist of correcting the steering.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's a couple shots with the wheels on. I was surprised that the wheels came with brake discs and calipers, although they are a cheap set, it was a nice little detail to add.

I plan on starting to do some mods to the body this weekend. The kit came with side mirrors, windshield wipers, and a spoiler. I also picked up some carbon fiber vinyl that I'll probably use on the hood and perhaps boot lid. I'm not sure what color to go with, but I'm leaning towards flat silver, gun metal, or perhaps black. I keep this thread updated as I go. It'll probably be some time before I start getting deeply involved in upgrading the chassis.

In case anyone was wondering, here is my initial purchase list from HobbyKing. I had to purchase the chassis and controller from the US warehouse and have it shipped to my wife's family to have them forward it to me. It's a shame HobbyKing doesn't ship to APO addresses anymore. The only other option was to purchase from the International warehouse or European warehouse. Both had higher prices, and only the International warehouse had it in stock. I didn't feel like having to worry about paying any taxes to get it delivered. Everything else was purchased through the UK warehouse.

Order #1
    • 1/10 HobbyKing Mission-D 4WD GTR Drift Car (ARR) - $84.74
    • Turnigy GTX3 AFHDS (automatic frequency hopping digital system) 2.4ghz 3 Channel Radio System - $39.74
    Total w/ shipping: $135.65

Order #2
    • ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 2S1P 25C Car Lipoly (ROAR APPROVED) - $15.34
    • Lithium Polymer Charger Pack 18x22cm Sack - $2.40
    • XT T-Connector Plug Harness for 2S Hardcase Lipo - $2.33
    • Turnigy nano-tech 2500mAh 3S1P 5~10C Transmitter Lipo Pack - $17.10
    • HobbyKing ECO6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories - $19.39
    • Charging Harness - $3.71
    Total w/ shipping: $82.56

Order #3 (Placed this order because I didn't have a power supply that had the correct amps)
    • XT T-Connector Plug Harness for 2S Hardcase Lipo - $2.23
    • HobbyKing 105W 15V/7A Switching DC Power Supply w/ UK Plug - $15.14
    Total w/ shipping: $22.96

Total for all items: $241.17 or roughly £146

That's not too bad for a complete set up.

2. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

Purchased a few new upgrades for my ride:

Alu. Steering Holder
    Alu. Front One Way Diff
    Alu. Rear Fixed Axle
    Alu. Front Wheel Hub
    Alu. Rear Wheel Hub

After doing the upgrades, I noticed that the steering was worse then before. I then realized that the King Pins going into the C-Hub were really tight. I bore out the holes a little and now the steering is spot on. After purchasing these few bits, I am now itching to buy more.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Starting to look a lot more like a proper drifter. Now all I need to do is properly learn how to drift......

#2 SkylineLvr, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014