1995 e36 318is sump change

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Big.D, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Big.D

Big.D Member

Hi all
    I'm after a bit of advice regarding my oil sump i have a hair line crack in it which have patched up with chemical metal but i have got a new sump ready to fit. But what i want to know is when it comes to fitting the new sump will i have to have the engine hoisted out slightly in order to get the sump of or is there an easier way of doing it without lifting the engine up to gain access.

Cheers
    Dale

2. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

You can lift the engine or drop the subframe.

Im pretty sure on the 4 cylinders you dont need to do either, I might be wrong.

3. Big.D

Big.D Member

Yeah looks like it could slide out made a start on it tonight got all bolts off to find 2 bolts at the back of the sump that the gear box cover. So by the looks of things i'll be having the gear box of tomorrow the only guides online i can find are for the 2 piece sumps for the single cam cars! Bellow is a pic of the sump the holes circled are where it bolts to the face of the gear box the arrows the holes in which the gear box covers. If anyone has done this job before any advice would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]

4. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Ive done the job.

You dont need to remove the gearbox.

Remove the 3 bell housing bolts that go through the gearbox into the sump.
    There will be two cut outs in the bell housing which allows you to get a socket up there to undo the two bolts you're pointing to in the picture.

So to repeat, you do not need to remove the gearbox!

5. Big.D

Big.D Member

Oh shit i really made a tit of myself there didn't i! Cheers for the advice ill crack back into it tomorrow all the other bolts are undone we shall see how easy it is to get out!