anti lag how does it work & how can I apply it?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by EDnovaStarlet, Jun 11, 2010.

1. EDnovaStarlet

EDnovaStarlet RWD Carless

I caught myself reading rev's or fast car at work today not sure which was but they had a STI rally car vs a STI road car.

There was a break down of power and tourque. The figures were something like this of the road car in bhp was 429bhp but 297ft lb and the rally car just 325bhp but 289ft lb. They said the rally car got what felt like all of it's power to the tarmac and felt alot quicker than the road car dispite the road car having no restictions and alot more power.

Now in drifting we need the high tourque figure to keep them wheels spinning and read that the rally STI had anti lag how is this made & how can i apply it to my RB20 so to keep lag right down and turbo on full boost much lower down the rev's?

any and all help needed cheers peeps:thumbs:

2. Biggamehit

Biggamehit Member

Anti-lag ( misfire ) is a great tool in the world of rally and alike because you have those slow corners which would normally bog a turbo down. The anti-lag system basically uses ignition to keep the turbo spooling. While effective, this system reduces the life of turbo's over time which is why they almost always replace or over-hual turbos frequently.

It would sound bad ass on your car, but we generally drift a pre-planned course and know what gears we need to be in. As far as making your car work better you have to look at your induction system, size of turbo, intercooler/piping. All that plays a factor in how spool determined.

#2 Biggamehit, Jun 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  3. Hazzles

Hazzles Member

4. tathan

tathan Member

when you lift of throttle it closes the butterfly, less air through engine, slower turbo.

with antilag, when you lift off, it closes butterfly but keeps fuelling and pulls the ignition right back. lots of very hot burning gas out through exhaust, turbo keeps going.

antilag turbos are usually more robust, featuring stuff like shafts made of maram 247 (think!) to survive the heat and shock loads, and since group A teams can afford to bin them after a rally it doesn't matter. shame because it's perfect for drifting.

5. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

Did the rally car have shorter gearing? They usually do, and it makes a massive difference.

I'm sure Stav will see this and comment, as he has run anti-lag. Then people will dissagree who haven't. Then this thread will disolve in to bitching, again, and no one will actually do anything.

6. bigrichy

bigrichy Team Beard

Sounds like every thread in the technical section :thumbs:

7. Brooksie

Brooksie fuck off

speak to Stav ... he properly knows his shit with all this anti lag malarkey

8. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

Thats the Pikey after market way of doing it.

The WRC cars basically run an injector in the exhaust manifold and ignite raw fuel in the turbo housing to make boost.

I say the after market way is pikey as they try to get the same effect by running huge retard and igniting fuel close to or on the exhaust stroke. You will get boost generated but its pikey as the engine is then running mega retarded and not makeing the power torque it could with the correct ignition.

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

They do? All the WRC cars ive ever seen certainly havent, but then again ive not seen them all! (Current Subaru WRCs have a very odd inlet setup I dont understand either, but thats another story)

Got any pics of said setup mate? :) Read about this before and presumed it was just internet/magazine myth as never seen any details but have seen countless other varying setups without.

10. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

My best mate works at m sport in engine development, I am seeing him next weekend and will get all the details not sure he'll want any pictures on here though, but I'll ask