*Premium* RWD SR20DET/95' Impreza L Build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by pwerplentySR20, May 17, 2011.

1. Dunit4

Dunit4 Member

Nice build!! im planning on turning my 97' impreza Rwd. Not going to do any engine swap tho

2. gavinblues

gavinblues Member

This is looking great! keep it up!

3. alexhxc

alexhxc Member

interesting project!

4. Drunken Master

Looks interesting

5. Drunken Master

6. pwerplentySR20

Update #6:
    This is where the car stands as of today (1/15/12)
    *From now on all images will be in this size. My apologies for the small thumbnails before*
    First off let me thank everyone for viewing the video. The video has reached 1,148 views which I'm pretty happy about. We also managed to find out why the motor wasn't getting oil to the head; the oil pan was dented in so the oil pick-up was blocked, so I replaced it with my tomei pan and now it works 110%. We managed to start on the rollcage as well which is coming out really well thanks to cricks custom fabrication (where my car has been the past few months). Some of you have replied/or PM'd me on the downpipe clearance so before we took it out to weld in the O2 bung I took some pictures for you.

Here is a view from directly over the wastegate & under the car:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Downpipe out of the car/Weld-In O2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New oil pan installed:
    [​IMG]

Beginning stage of roll cage:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is it for now, but more pictures of the cage should be posted more next week as it gets more developed.

7. xborninthefightx

xborninthefightx JZX BOSS

Thoses are some NICE welds mate.

8. pwerplentySR20

Thanks. however i cannot take the credit haha. I will tell my buddy you said his welds are nice. im still in the learning process of welding.

9. pwerplentySR20

Update #7:
    This is where the car stands as of today (1/20/12)
    Hello Everyone! Well the cage is finally finished and I must say I'm extremely pleased with it. We tried doing something really unique with the door bars to go with the rest of the car, and I think we hit the nail on the head with this design. Also we managed to mock up the fitment for the front bumper. The bumper support is currently being made right now, but we are just about there. Here is how the cage came out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will post pictures when front end is complete!

10. pwerplentySR20

Update #8:
    This is where the car stands as of today (3/31/12)
    Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay of updates. I had to save some money up so I could start progressing quicker with the build. You all should be pleased to know that the updates will start flowing a little more smoothly now. Since the last update I painted the interior of the car and also ordered some parts through Garage Boso (who is tuning my car). Within the next few days we will be pulling the motor and installing the new parts then dropping it back in for tuning purposes. I also managed to pick up a R180 from a 05 STi that is currently being modded by Weir Performance and should be done this Monday coming up (4/2). Once my axles from the driveshaftshop come in my whole driveline will be complete. Here are the interior cage pictures. I will be uploading more pictures as parts come in and get installed. Note: I forgot to upload a picture of how we cut out my quarter panels after they were done so I included that as well. Thanks for looking!

Priming Stages:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quater Panel:
    [​IMG]

11. pwerplentySR20

Update #9:
    This is where the car stands as of today (4/8/12)
    I told some of you I'd have an update today; so here it is! During this past week I pulled the motor to clean it up a bit and add in my Apexi Headgasket and Exedy Hyper-Single. While the motor was out we also managed to delete the IAC and make a nice blocking plate for it. All engine work was done at Borco Performance here in Vallejo, CA. Yesterday I spent a good 5hrs swapping the rear end. I purchased a R180 from a 05 STi and brought it directly to Weir Performance for a LSD upgrade which made it from a 8-plate into a 12-plate LSD. Next was purchasing axles so of course I had to go to the driveshaft shop and purchased their 800hp STi axles, and lastly was to finally put on my rear 06 STi brembos I had laying on the side of my house. The car will be going down to Garage Boso in Gardena either late this month or early next month for tuning. I should have some more updates before then though. Until then...Enjoy!

LSD taken apart (OEM 8-Plate):
    [​IMG]
    LSD taken apart (Weir 12-Plate):
    [​IMG]
    LSD Assembly:
    [​IMG]
    Headgasket install:
    [​IMG]
    Completed Engine:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Diff/Axles/Brake Swap:
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    New parts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old vs New:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pwerplentySR20

Update #10:
    This is where the car stands as of today (6/9/12)
    Yes it has been a long time since I have an done an update, but I can assure you it was for good reason. I was acquiring numerous amounts of parts to finish the car so there wouldn't be any more halts in the production of the build. What we are focusing on now is doing a whole new braking system. This consists of:
    Tilton 600 Series pedals, New reservoirs, Rotors, Lines, Pads, CNC Hand-Brake. The progress you are about to see is from this past weekend. Enjoy:

Day the Tilton's and StopTech's came in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We eliminated the brake booster and made a blocking plate:
    [​IMG]

New pedals installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Reservoir Bracket:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dash Plate:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dash Plate with Reservoirs installed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

14. dingdong

dingdong Member

proper cool project fab works spot on bro!

15. pwerplentySR20

Thank you!

I couldn't be more pleased with the way all the fabrication work has came out.

16. s14a L.K

s14a L.K Member

If this was facebook, I would definitely be clicking like!

17. pwerplentySR20

Update #11:
    This is where the car stands as of today (6/22/12)
    Hello Everyone! I told you I'd keep you updated right? Well here is the latest. We have been dissecting this brake system the past few days now. Cricks Racing Fabrication (where the car has been) made a custom mount for the CNC hydraulic e-brake, we installed the new power slots/stoptech kit, and also started making the mount for the accusump system. I hope you enjoy!

Hydraulic E-Brake Mount:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before the kit:
    [​IMG]

After the kit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Accusump Mount (Not finished, but gives you a good idea):
    [​IMG]

18. Tim200s13

Tim200s13 Member

innovation.... love it

19. pwerplentySR20

Update #12:
    This is where the car stands as of today (7/13/12)
    Hello again ladies and gents! The car is being stripped back down to repaint the inside. I was extremely unhappy with the way the rattle can came out; so I went to a local auto body supply company and purchased a dark metallic gray paint to spray the interior with and also the engine. I figured I'd update just to keep you guys interested haha. We also mounted the accusump in its permanent location.

Accusump:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tear-Down:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. huwbertoo

huwbertoo Member

I read through a lot of project threads, this one amazes me, the attention to detail is awesome, your fabrication skills are really good look forward to seeing more.